Tasman upsets Bay of Plenty

Getty Images

Sunday, October 10, 2010    Getty Images

It was Tasman's third win and lifted it a place to 12th on the table, while Bay of Plenty, which took two bonus points from the 41-39 upset loss, slipped a spot t seventh in the 14-team competition.

The Bay scored six of the nine tries and overcame a 19-point deficit in the final quarter to take the lead at 39-38 before Tasman fullback Tom Marshall slotted his eighth penalty goal near the end to seal the game for the Makos.

The Bay captain Colin Bourke was scathing of the match officials afterwards.
After a muddling start, Tasman opened the scoring in the 10th minute with fullback Tom Marshall slotting an angled penalty goal. Bay of Plenty, playing into a stiff wind, dominated territory in the first quarter, but had nothing to show for it.

Marshall doubled the score starting the second quarter with a 37m angled penalty after Bay of Plenty lock Culum Retallick was penalised for a harmless foot tap on the back of a Tasman player who was holding his leg.

From the restart, however, Bay of Plenty bagged the first try after Luke Andrews claimed the short kick-off and after several phases flanker Luke Braid easily forced his way over with Mike Delany giving his side a one-point lead by kicking a good angled conversion into the wind.

Two minutes later Tasman regained the lead through another accurate goal-kick by Marshall. Delany declined a relatively easy penalty goal kick in the 30th minute to kick for touch and it paid dividends when halfback Taniela Moa used his strength to crash over in two tackles after the forwards had taken the ball to the line from the lineout win. Delany landed another superb conversion from near the sideline to give the Bay a 14-9 lead.

Marshall made it four from four with another penalty after 33 minutes and he gave his team the lead again three minutes later with his fifth penalty from about the same angled spot he landed three of his earlier ones.

But while Tasman kicked the penalties, Bay of Plenty was scoring the tries. From the restart Moa scooped up a loose ball and went over in Marshall's tackle, the try being awarded after confirmation by the TMO. Delany failed with the conversion from the opposite of the ground, but the Bay was ahead, 19-15.

That advantage was short-lived, Tasman wing Kade Poki taking a Robbie Malneek pass at pace and cutting back infield to elude three tackles and scoring a fine try, one which Marshall converted from close range.

And with the siren having sounded for half-time, Tasman struck again, captain Chris Jack off-loading to flanker Shane Christie, who barged through the final line of defence. Marshall's conversion hit the upright and went side, but the Makos led at the break, 27-19.

Three minutes into the second half, Marshall kicked his sixth penalty goal from 25m to extend the lead to 11 points and after 48 minutes Bay of Plenty received a team warning after prop Josh Hohneck prevented the ball from being played on the ground. Marshall slotted his seventh penalty goal to take Tasman to a 33-19 lead.

Delany missed with his first penalty attempt after 50 minutes and Tasman prospered when the Bay backs dropped the ball. Wing James Kamana surged inside the opposition's 22m and after some slick passing first five-eighth Robbie Malneek reached out to score, Marshall missing the conversion.

Replacement back Grant McQuoid stepped the last defender to score Bay of Plenty's bonus-point fourth try after 59 minutes, Delany's conversion hitting the post from handy range. Another replacement, Daniel Waenga, scored the Bay's fifth try early into the final quarter after a great break by Lelia Masaga, Delany converting from in front to close the deficit to seven points.

Captain Colin Bourke showed blistering speed in setting up the sixth try, running 50m before sending away Masaga with a well-timed pass, but Delany's conversion to level
the score just went wide. With six minutes remaining Delany landed a 55m penalty goal off the upright to take the Bay ahead, 39-38.

The Steamers conceded a penalty from the kick-off and Marshall from 28m kicked his eighth penalty goal to regain the lead, 41-39. Bay of Plenty coughed up the ball with less than three minutes to play and Tasman retained possession until the final whistle sounded.


Tasman 41 (Kade Poki, Shane Christie, Robbie Malneek tries; Tom Marshall con, 8 pen) Bay of Plenty 39 (Taniela Moa (2), Luke Braid, Grant McQuoid, Daniel Waenga, Lelia Masaga tries; Mike Delany 3 con, pen). HT: 27-19